RAL 4002 Crystic GT-600 Isophthalic Gelcoat - BRUSH
By buying this product you can collect up to 1 point. Your cart will total 1 point that can be converted into a voucher of €0.10.
Crystic® Gelcoat GT-600 is a high performance isophthalic gelcoat. It is pre-accelerated and formulated for brush application. It has been developed to have excellent intrinsic water and weather resistance.
Product Description and Approvals
Crystic® Gelcoat GT-600 is a high performance isophthalic gelcoat. It is pre-accelerated and formulated for brush application.
Crystic® Gelcoat GT-600 has been developed to have excellent intrinsic water and weather resistance. The viscosity profile ensures even coverage with minimal drainage and low film porosity.
Crystic® Gelcoat GT-600 is recommended for use in the marine, building and transport industries. It is also suitable for general moulding requirements. Crystic® Gelcoat GT-600 is approved by Lloyd’s Register of Shipping.
GelTint offers the latest in pigment and gelcoat technology producing a high quality product for ease of use, finish and longevity. There is a vast range of colours available. Custom colour matching is also available if required once you contact a Castro Composites representative.
The biggest benefit of GelTint is the speed of service.
Features and Benefits
Isophthalic base resin
Easy to apply
Excellent water / blistering resistance
Good impact resistance
Excellent surface finish
- Ensure the gelcoat has attained workshop temperature of 15°C - 25°C before use.
- Add 2% MEKP 50% or equivalent catalyst.
- Gently stir the gelcoat by hand or low shear stirrer.
- Use long brush strokes and even pressure to apply the gelcoat in an even film across the mould surface
- Brush through the gelcoat until the recommended wet film thickness of 600-800 microns is reached.
- Apply the first layer of laminate within 24 hours of the gelcoat.
- Stir the gelcoat with high shear mixers as this will temporarily break down the thixotropy leading to drainage.
- Exceed a wet film thickness of 800 microns as thick films encourage air retention.
- Apply excessive thickness in corner areas as this can cause pre-release.
- Apply backing laminate before the gelcoat has reached an appropriate degree of cure.
- Catalyse more gelcoat than can be applied before it starts to gel as this will lead to wastage and possible exothermic reaction.
- Allow vapour to be retained in deep mould sections as this can cause slow curing.
Additives and Variants
Crystic® Gelcoat GT-600 should only be used with specified GelTint pigments. The information contained in this technical data sheet applies to all pigmented versions.
A topcoat version of this material is available called GT-600 PAX.
Incorporation of additional material may affect the working, weathering or cured properties of the gelcoat. Please check with Castro Composites’s Technical Service department before using the gelcoat outside of specified parameters.
Satisfactory laminates for many applications can be made with Crystic® Gelcoat GT-600 by curing at workshop temperature (15°C - 25°C). However, for optimum properties, laminates must be post-cured before being put into service. The moulding should be allowed to cure for 24 hours at workshop temperature and then oven-cured for 16 hours at 40°C.
It is recommended that customers test all pigmented gelcoats before use under their own conditions of application to ensure the required surface finish is achieved. We recommend that Customers new to GelTint or customers using new GelTint colours test the product before use in full scale production. Due to the nature and fast service of the GelTint process, retain samples of the final product are not taken.
Packaging and Storage
Crystic® Gelcoat GT-600 should be stored in its original container, under cover, and out of direct sunlight. These must be kept closed and airtight. It is recommended that the storage temperature should be less than 25°C and the product should not be frozen. Storing the product outside of these conditions may affect the properties of the product and reduce its shelf life. Ideally, containers should be opened only immediately prior to use. Material should be used within 5 months from date of production.
Health and Safety
Read and understand separate Material Safety Data Sheet before using this product. Unsaturated polyester products release heat when they cure in bulk.
Type of supply
Crystic GT-600 x 1 kg* container supplied with 20 g of catalyst
Crystic GT-600 x 5 kg* container supplied with 100 g of catalyst
Crystic GT-600 x 18-20 kg* container supplied with 0.5 kg of catalyst
* Weights shown are estimated since depending on the RAL color selected, weight content may vary slightly. To see the exact quantities of each RAL color, please click on the following link: Total package weight per RAL
Typical Properties – Uncured
|Viscosity, 25°C 0.6s-1|
|Viscosity, 25°C 4500s-1|
|Specific Gravity at 25°C|
Typical Properties – Cured
|Test Method||Typical Value|
|Barcol Hardness (Model GYZJ 934-1)*||EN59|
|Water Absorption 24 hrs at 23°C*||BS EN ISO 62 part 6.2|
|Heat Deflection Temperature† (1.8MPa)||BS EN ISO 75-2 (1996)|
|Elongation at Break*||BS EN ISO 527-2|
|Tensile Strength*||BS EN ISO 527-2|
|Tensile Modulus*||BS EN ISO 527-2|
|Flexural Strength*||BS EN ISO 178|
|Flexural Modulus*||BS EN ISO 178||4300 MPa|
* Curing Schedule - 24hrs at 20°C, 3hrs at 80°C.
† Curing Schedule - 24hrs at 20°C, 5hrs at 80°C, 3hrs at 120°C.
Gel time & Backup time
Catalyst level and temperature will influence the gel time. The product only requires the addition of catalyst to start curing. We recommend the use of a 50% MEKP which should be added at 2% in the gelcoat.
|Gel time (2% 50% MEKP)**||Backup time (2% 50% MEKP)**|
**Measured under laboratory conditions. Information should be used as a guide only.
ADR (DANGEROUS GOODS)
Some products will be considered dangerous goods (ADR) when their container exceed certain amounts. ADR products must be transported by special transport agencies, such as SCHENKER or TXT.
* The following products will be considered ADR (Dangerous Goods) when their container EXCEED the values shown in the table below. Products of equal or smaller size than those shown will not be considered ADR, so they may be transported also by SEUR and Envialia.
Polyvinyl and Isopropyl alcohol ................................................ 1 L
Ethylmethylketone / Methyl ethyl ketone ................................... 1 L
Acetone .................................................................................... 1 L
Methyl ethyl ketone Peroxide (X-8 MEKP Catalyst) ...................125 ml
Liquid Amine or Liquid Polyamide (Epoxy Resin Hardener) ....... 5 L
Resins, Top Coats and Gel Coats ................................................ 5 L
Paints ......................................................................................... 5 L
Styrene and MW Paraffin Solution .............................................. 5 L
If you have selected a product whose container size is considered ADR and you choose SEUR or Correos EXPRESS as carrier, those ADR products will be transferred into smaller containers to not breach the European Agreement concerning the International Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Road. That is, if you order a 25 kg resin drum and you select SEUR or Correos Express as carrier because you need the products sooner, the resin will be supplied in 5 containers of 5 kg each and its catalyst will be supplied in 5 containers of 100 g.
In any case, drums bigger than 25 kg must be shipped by TXT or Schenker.
* Shippings to Portugal will be always carried by Torrestir
Download Technical Data Sheet